Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

coffee-the last day; the last days for presentment

I don't know about you, but I have "unofficially" gone 60 days without coffee.  Same as to tea.  I don't say that I'm going out and having a cup any time soon.  I may want to save that for something special, although I don't have any special plans as yet.

As the deadline approaches to file presentment claims against bp (The 20th is the official deadline) questions arise daily.  I saw an article about Mississippi Municipalities filing and the article was so badly written it made me cringe.  The article said that businesses and individuals were excused, which is wrong. Only those in the class are excused.

Fortunately, all of the presentments I had planned are behind me now.  There may be another one or two which come up, but I'm done as far as I'm concerned.  The next step in the process is to file suit.  There are rumblings out there that you can satisfy this with a short form joinder.  This is a high risk venture, I suppose, but not something that is out of the question for cases which are otherwise too difficult to pursue.

Note that while the 20th is the accepted deadline (receipt by the 20th, mind you); it is not necessarily a required deadline under the opa.

BP has been making "outrageous" demands for supplementary documentation, but those requests are not mandated by the opa and whether they will seriously consider the large claims filed by businesses and individuals who were affected by the spill remains to be seen.


No comments:

Post a Comment