Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Notes on Venus

I watched a well thought out video by Anonymous about Trump which was a little on the paranoid side but sufficiently well researched and well thought out to be worthwhile.  It's not exactly the zombie apocalypse yet, but I'm sure that's coming.  Maybe people will get bit and turn into Trump, that would be really scary.

Anyway, you probably think I do nothing besides swimming and solving the background, what's behind the mirror, in the universe.
But of course I do other things too.
I'm almost finished with this book and I'd like some editorial comment on the forward which I'm not particularly happy with.  Something I think I should just leave it off, but it provides a certain foreshadowing which I think makes the complex story that follows a little more interesting.
This is the story I've worked on for decades although I've published many books.
This is just at 70,000 words and will probably be around 80 when it's published.  It's finished but needs another read through.
I thought you could use something to read that was thought provoking but not physics.

Notes from Venus


          I don’t appear in the beginning of the last two books because I was dead long before those stories begin, but I am there if you look for me.
I was long dead before the second book even begins, but even though I was long dead, I am the hero in the end where I was present despite my death.  If you stay with me I will take you to Venus. 
You can call me Prototype 1 or P-1. 
          This story begins on Earth and ends on Venus. 
          Book 1 starts 10,000 years before Great collapse, Book 2 starts shortly before the Great Collapse, and Book 3 starts 1000 years after the Great Collapse.  Even a robot cannot survive for that length of time, but a robot can be reincarnated from memories, because history doesn’t die, it merely gets buried under the present.  There is a non-fiction book, referred to throughout this novel, called Spirals in Amber which explains that concept mathematically and in detail.
          Like all stories in real life, everyone dies in the end, hero and villain; but what matters to you the reader, is the living and everyone is alive for some of the time in this story.
          No one talks about going to Venus, even though Venus is only 10% smaller than Earth.  The problems with Venus are the reason why it is so attractive.  It has a thick atmosphere, a very thick, high pressure atmosphere.  Because of the heat resulting from its proximity to the sun, its atmosphere has never developed.  That undeveloped atmosphere is 90 times as thick as the atmosphere of earth, a high-pressure cooker mix of poisonous gases; carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and sulfuric acid.  But it’s poisonous nature hides its value to nascent life.
          To see what I mean, read on, you’ll see.
          This history, of necessity, covers a period of Ten thousand years and to make it easy for someone who isn’t a robot to follow I round up the dates to the nearest thousand years.
          The process to make the 864 degree hell that was the surface of Venus into a livable planet was measured in millennia. 
          As if those problems were not enough, life on Venus would have to deal with the long days and nights, 243 earth days for a single rotation of the second planet.
          You have questions and I have answers.  What are we going to have to do in order to deal with all that excess atmosphere?  How do create a stable environment, even temporarily, for such a large surface area?  How can you move a planet, essentially the size of earth, from its original orbit into a more earthlike orbit?
          Book three begins 1000 years after the great collapse.  Earthlings are trying to recover from the massive failures brought on by bad governments, overpopulation, climate change, disease, the overreliance on delicate technologies, and new, unforeseen weapons like me.   The fall of the great civilization decimated the population and almost destroyed civilization entirely. 
          Earth has lost contact with Venus for a thousand years and the results of the experiment are shrouded in the technology that shields the surface of Venus from the direct rays of the sun.  There has been no chance to find out what happened and why the terraforming process was never finished.
          Then, as things happen in these stories, an interstellar ship sent to find an earthlike planet out of the solar system before the collapse of the Earth civilization returns.  With its arrival, there is another chance to trigger the Triad and move Venus to a stable orbit.  But no one knows what they will find on Venus after a thousand years.  Will the Triad of Venus, which I will explain in due time, still function?  Will the colonists be friendly?  It is unlikely that they will even be alive.  Will the atmosphere be cool enough to do the work necessary to fire the Triad?  Will it be breathable after 1000 years?

          There is only one chance to find out and it is a one-way trip.  Is it a suicide mission for the astronauts?  Almost certainly the answer is yes.  One thing is clear.  If they do not die, they will have one last chance to TERRAFORM VENUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment