Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

my road –if you don’t want it, give it to someone else



“What this,” she asked holding up the box I’d given her.
“It’s a geegaw”
“A what?”
“It’s a silver bracelet,” [a token of my love for you, you idiot].  I think telling a story where you give all the [extraneous information] that is held back would make for a good novel.  It’s comic irony. You see?  Perhaps, one day I might try writing it, but no I will not write again. “Our 25th anniversary.”
“If you want to show me you love me, give me what I want.”
“In time, maybe” [You have no idea of the conflict inside of me, the dragons I am battling with].
“In time!  How fucking long do you expect me to wait.”
“You made me wait 20 years, the best years of my life.”
“I’ve given you all the time I’m going to give you.  Take this back.”
“If you don’t want it give it to someone else.  It doesn’t matter, I just wanted you to have something.” [you have no idea how much I love you].
“Why should I have to do it.  Here, you take it and give it to someone else. I’m tired of your excuses and I’m tired of waiting for you.”
“I haven’t ever asked you to wait for me.” [And as near as I can tell you haven’t.  If nothing better came along, you might have looked at what  we had together and given it some value.  I wanted to sleep with you, but you didn’t have to. We could have just been friends.  Now I’m lying to myself in the hold back, damn it.]
“Why would you even want me when I’m not going to be faithful to you.”
“I’m not asking you to be faithful.  I’m just asking you to understand that I am your friend and that I want to be more and that I’m willing to suffer whatever fate that holds for me unless I straighten out my life.” [I want you to wait, I want to tell you to wait, however fruitless ‘that’ would be.  But I cannot.  How can I ask you to wait when I don’t fully understand what I’m asking you to wait for.  If you can, accept me for what I can give you now.  If you cannot, there is probably no comfort in knowing I suffer as much as you.  That I suffered alone for much longer than you have.]
“Straighten out your life?  What the fuck does that mean.  Does that mean while you ‘try to sort you problems out’ which just means going home to your wife and going on family vacations and basically treating me like I’m some sort of whore?”
“Yes, something like that, but without the whore part.  We don’t have to have sex, I can love you, you can love me.  This isn’t entirely my fault if you think about it.”
“But it’s your fault it isn’t fixed. Don’t think you can throw the past at me.  I’m not as stupid as you think I am.”
“I don’t think you’re supid.” [I know you’re not stupid.  So why did you keep sleeping with me for so long.  Was I fooling you?  Fooling myself?  Maybe we are in love, maybe that’s the reason.  That, perhaps, makes us both stupid under the circumstances.]
“I’ll burn it along with all the poems you gave me.“
“That’s fine, they were yours to burn.“ [They’re irreplaceable.  They represented the entire emotional content of my life for the last 20 years.]
“You’re exasperating.”
“You look good in silver.” [I wish I was going to be the one who could see you wearing that and nothing else.  I am envious of the one who will see it, who won’t appreciate it as I would.]
What was she thinking, I wondered?
I was now at a time when I was more in touch with virtue and I thought to myself that if she could love me then I could give myself to her.  But if she couldn’t then I would have to do something else.  I thought of a pilgrimage.  A trip to Mexico or the desert, to get away from the trials I was constantly facing, even if it meant defaulting on some of my obligations.  The obligations would still be there when I got back and I had a little more breathing room than I had before, although the same deadlines loomed before me.  60 days, 90 at the most before everything came to a head.
It seemed as if the girl and I had not survived the doubts, but we were talking and our conversations were as rich and rewarding as ever, but they were peppered with warnings, some subtle, some not, that we no longer had a relationship.  That we could not even be friends.
I thought to myself, I let you love whoever you wanted after I had professed my love for you.  What kind of person are you that you cannot extend me the same courtesy?
For all of my self-justification,  I had been given ample time to get my shit together and from her point of view I had made no progress.  I’m not sure what I thought from my point of view, but economically things were coming to a head.  One way or another there would be progress in the coming months.  I desperately wanted the moral support, I needed her as a sexual partner, but I had asked of her all I could.  Now it was up to her.
She had repeatedly warned me that we had to solve the problems I had which meant abandoning whoever I had to abandon in whatever state they were abandoned.  When I say this, it sounds like I may disagree, but I do not.  I agreed with her that I could meet such obligations as I had one way or another, but she did not know how tenuous things were for me.  I was ‘burning the seed corn’ to pay just the bills that I had.  How does a rich person explain that they are making a fortune every months but spending two?
  I had to take the steps that were approaching my grasp and coincidently, the family ties that had bound me so tightly, had begun to unwind themselves; or so I thought.
It was Machiavelli who laid out the conflict of virtue and fortune.  It was Paine who gave away his world wide best selling royalties to spread his thoughts as one of the first abolitionists, meritocracy or mediocracy, and the forswearing of wealth even to the point of poverty in support of public service laying the groundwork for a moral imperative account from which subsequent generations would draw for 200 years before finally bankrupting it.  Of course, the French had proven how empty the promises of Paine were when they took to beheading each other in the name of his philosophies.   Alas, poor Thomas, I feel your pain.
Even while I was experiencing the freedom of virtue in some respects, I was controlled by the words of fortune.  Financial security, college tuition, family vacations, societal expectations, anniversary gifts, Christmas presents, savings accounts, investment capital, business acquaintance, cars, planes, ski-trips, gambling money, toys of every description, faster computers, bigger houses, swimming pools. The list of words tying me to fortune and denying me virtue unending, seeming impossible to corral.  There were those who said that virtue allowed a certain comfort to support ones immediate family, that provided only the gentleman would be sufficiently well off to pay attention to virtue, logic enslaving virtue in favor of fortune.  I think that is not true, for once you start down that road, it never ends.

The words of virtue are eels in a pitch-dark pool.  Love, companionship, writing, morality, mankind, climate change, the joys of the self verse the good of mankind, compassion verse avarice.  I realized the need in my desperation to abandon greed and pursue virtue, but my heart was full of avarice, shackled by the words of fortune without any more knowledge of the chains than of the future that was waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment