Pages

Thursday, March 9, 2017

The state constitutional convention

I'm not really that political, understanding that the madness we experience is at best transient (at worst it is on purpose).
We elected something, it's hard to call it anything and I have to assume the reason is because out of 300 million people we gave the public...nothing to chose from?  I have to assume perhaps the majority were just against the status quo.  I don't think they wanted to kill off the endangered species or pollute the rivers; perhaps they did want to salvage the US competitiveness in manufacturing, one of my bug-a-boos (China's Weaponized Economy published in 2012 I think).
Now don't think this post is going to be an anti-trump post. Trump is an unusually unusal choice for president, but not historically an aberration.
We here in the US are not all going to die, at least not necessarily.
The answer, is also addressed in that same book.  We're not helpless after an election, we don't have to wait two years or four to fix the system or at least start to fix it.
The answer to all of our problems is a state constitutional convention.  The items are addressed in two books, the CWE and World War C.
There are some specifics:
1) Term limits, but within reason, I have a lot of thoughts on these, many of them in the book
2) Take away any benefit not given to the public (including from those who are not in office)
3) Make them subject to the laws they pass
4) Particularly make them pay for their own healthcare
Now a pretty good argument against some of this is that it makes them subject to corruptions, but they're so corrupt anyway who cares?
I also, however am a fan of deregulation, mainly because they favor special interest groups, not because I expect polution and dead animals to be a good thing.  My idea was to make every act, particularly in the tax code to automatically go out unless voted to be kept; but that's a little extreme.
And the state constitutional convention doesn't even need to work.  Constitutionally it needs to work; but practically, it just needs to allow the people to speak.
I wish I could say I was the only party to this; I just need to say that when they drafted the constitution they envisioned an out of control congress and a demigod president as being inevitable and that just shows how cool the whole process of republican government of democratic states was when they wrote the Constitution how much more farsighted the founding fathers were than their children although they were clearly as fallible.

No comments:

Post a Comment