Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2015

my road-fever pitch


I dropped my other business ventures then to deal with the emergencies and by that I mean the opportunities presented.  I threw myself and my resources into construction of housing.  Unfortunately, the partners I started with were the confidence man and the attorney.  I don't blame them for their decisions and their decisions did little more to save them than mine did to save me.
I had always been cautious, unwilling to get in over my head.  That is a key to making good decisions, don't get in over your head. Ah, but I was living, at least for something.  I was living to make money, he he, but I was living nonetheless. At this moment, I was wildly successful...making money. In truth I was a dismal failure as person.
And things were working, despite the fact that I was being robbed blind, trusting as I was in someone I knew could not be trusted, not auditing the books, seeing projects go wildly over budget.   Millions of dollars were missing, although where to was lost in the fog of the moment.
 Everything was making money you see, the profits were not what they were supposed to be, but they were profits.  Notes were being paid down.  Of course, they were being replaced with larger notes, but the projected profits were being replaced with larger projected profits.  It only slowly began to dawn on me, blinded by greed and high living, that the best, most profitable jobs were somehow being financed with money that was not coming from our joint pool.  I slowly realized this and started, too late, to withdraw back to safety.  The dream, you see, was beginning to change into the nightmare.
Then two strange things happened, I got a call from an old lover who had moved to California.  She was a fantastic lover, beautiful raven hair that reminded me of the girl I was in love with.  But she was available.  At least she had been. And she was a wonderful lover, completely dedicated to the moment.  I have no idea if she was available then.  You see she was married, but I had long sense abandoned honor for money and there was not even the trace of friendship between her husband and I so that I was willing to let our common hormones chart our course when we set up a meeting in New Orleans which was still a post storm ghost town populated only by those who absolutely needed to live there.  Rather than eating at the few restaurants that were still open, for example, I had my lunches at red cross or other emergency vendors, often siting next to people eating the ever pervasive MREs.
Were you still married?
Married?  Yes, of course I was.  That marriage was part of the last wisps of friendship I had clung to that prevented me from being a complete savage, like the one you see before you tonight.  When he said this it was with such a sense of coldness that it seemed like a cold wind had blown through the bar.  The listeners involuntarily moved closer to one another.
"What was the other thing that happened?" Jane asked tentatively.
I received an e-mail from the girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4pg6Jh94Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment