Pages

Friday, March 20, 2015

my road-the nightmare

It was the darkest part of the night and outside of the bar the storm was beginning to rage.  A flat screen television told of the weather possibly changing to snow, by daylight and warning residents to go home.  The scotch bottle was nearing the end.  Bolts of lightning illuminated the stranger who against the cold seeping through the window remained wrapped in his trench coat.  The crowd listening had grown so that the regular was sure that the two girls on either side of the stranger must now be touch legs with him.  The regular thought of the rot e had thought he'd seen under the coat and shuddered a little, but was too curious to say anything further.
The stranger had a haunted look on his face as he remembered unwanted thoughts.
The nightmare when it came started slowly as nightmares often do.  The first indication was when sales started to slow, this was the beginning of the real estate collapse.  Eventually prices would fall 30 percent, a stunning reversal, but within the limits of our endurance.  Then out of the blue we began to experience widespread electrical problem.  We considered them inexplicable at the time and the sales stopped completely and to make things worse, lawsuits were filed.  We were accused of poor construction, inadequate design, and much worse.
I had run into a friend on the streets near the park and we had started to chat.  The friend was my not yet attorney and I bewailed the troubles I had to this person who I knew was well heeled and wanted for nothing, but would enjoy the problems.  He surprised me by responding with great casualness, "Oh, that's the sheetrock."
"No, no," I insisted, "this is an electrical problem thinking he was confused by mold problems or something else.
"No, it's Chinese Sheetrock."
And there it was, high sulfur sheetrock wrecklessly imported with no proper quality control from China to meet the post Katrina shortage.  The sulfur mixed with the high humidity and you ended up with sulfuric acid and god knows what else.
A class action, that mean a million years from now some solution would be reached that made the attorneys rich.  Holy Shit, I thought.  I picked up the phone and let my partners know the bad news.  Then I called our attorneys, how much was this going to cost me?  Some of the notes already were being paid in arrears.  Banks were calling wondering about margins as the real estate collapse experienced in other areas already began to filter down and the results of government fueled over-building finally began to overcome the post storm housing shortage.
My partners were getting more and more distant.  I was getting more distant.  I discovered that we were not all in the same boat, but all the boats were leaking like crazy.
I started the mantra of going through all my debts and all my assets.  You might think that I was getting ready to collapse in the abyss.  That is what I thought too, but I was getting ready to discover virtue.  But first, I had to experience the nightmare. Ha!  Or what I thought was the nightmare. Perhaps I shall call it the first nightmare.
What?  The night after the dinner in New Orleans?  Why the hell do you want to know about that?  What childish curiosity you have.  You will certainly be disappointed.  But I see that the bottle has gone empty, I'm too dry to continue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB7ONnfIjaI

No comments:

Post a Comment