Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2021

48 plus 3

The desert is friendlier in the morning. It has a consistency of cold and hot I can't match.   I could have waited for the sunrise to prove it, but I promised this picture.

At night it is so quiet, only predators, that it is terrifying.  There was a spider standing the light switch daring me to use it.
There is no "call for help" because noone is neaby.  I am uncertain whether I can get used to it or not, but during the cold morning it seems possible.  I managed to sleep last night and feel like I have caught up on my sleep; you would not have guessed that possible from the thoughts I wrote down.
I worked a little yesterday to the extent I explained what I was doing and showed pictures and formulas; but nothing insightful or editorial even came from that.
There are larger birds (everythig is larger than a hummingbird); mostly blue jays and a chipmuck type creature fussing at me from a tree; or perhaps fussing at the dog.
For the first time since I left,  which seems like a much longer time ago, I am having cereal for breakfast and coffee.
There is a bald bluff in the distance, you can see the very corner of it in the picture.  I now have some idea of the distance that it represents, so close in vision you can reach out and and touch it, but lost in the low forest of the valley you have to cross to get there.
Yesterday in what was joked as a "death march" we hiked down to the ravine and back.
If I had a goal perhaps it woudl be to hike down the ravine and up to the bluff and then to take a pictue of the houuse which would be nothing but a red dot, I suspect.
It would be much smaller and less visible than the sun is.  I took that sunrise picture of consistency and I feel like if I took one of those over and over again and I managed to stay here despite the nights that I would never be able to tell one from the next.
The jays are fearless of the dog, they seem to both know who are native to this world and who are the interlopers.
Did I mention I am only 50 miles from the mexican border, that driving in I saw the border wall, largely meaningless in the immensity of this area.
I started too soon and my stomach is lurghing, i have to do myexercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment