Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

locke-existence

Our knowledge of our own existence is intuitive. As for our own existence, we perceive it so plainly and so certainly, that it neither needs nor is capable of any proof. . . . I think, I reason, I feel pleasure and pain: can any of these be more evident to me than my own existence? . . . For if I know I feel pain, it is evident I have as certain perception of my own existence, as of the existence of the pain I feel: or if I know I doubt, I have as certain perception of the existence of the thing doubting, as of that thought which I call doubt. Experience then convinces us, that we have an intuitive knowledge of our own existence, and an internal infallible perception that we are. In every act of sensation, reasoning, or thinking, we are conscious to ourselves of our own being; and, in this matter, come not short of the highest degree of certainty.
John Locke (1632 - 1704)
How angry I am at times
railing against the stupidity
which I would be accused
of calling man's fate

but if we be compelled
by actions predestined
is that any excuse
for rampant stupidity

I admit you have no choice
but by what right
are you compelled darkly
apelike, unconscious

destruction of oceans
pollution of land and air
prejudice with no purpose
other than to hasten death

death is inevitable
the one shared experience
why then so compelled
to give it early to each other

I suffer fools heavily
only for an absence 
of options of control
how i would reshape 

killer apes of intellect
only intelligent enough
to plan more efficient ways
of ensuring everyone's death

I turn my back on you all
i leave you to your wickedness
wondering if somehow i to
am so ignorant and savage

No comments:

Post a Comment