Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

my road to virtue and back Chapter 1

I did not understand my road to redemption.  That is I did not realize it was a road to redemption.  I did not understand it to be the road to virtue until I read about virtue and the war between virtus tu and fortuna.  O' fortuna, like the luna; but that is another, funnier story already reduced to classical musical reverie and perhaps that is the fotune of fate and not the fortune which vies for our souls with virtue.
Before I discuss my redemption, my road to virtue and my fall from grace thereafter, more of a stumble perhaps than a fall so far, at least; perhaps I should digress and talk about what virtue is and how I had to find it.
Like so many others, virtue, and success were hidden from me till I had traveled in the valley of dispair.  It seems likely that without losing everything those of us who are weak cannot find the strength of virtue and perhaps that is why those of us who are weak have such a difficult time holding onto virtue.
I believe it was Socrates who correctly predicted that society could not survive where the people sought fortune over virtue.  This, of course, not only condemns our society, but explains why we have begun to trail the world.  In my own work, "China's Weaponized Economy" I discuss this but indirectly; not having the full benefit of the Greek philosopher at my fingertips as I would  like.  But what is virtue?  It is not as Thomas Paine might lead one to believe, a collection of aphorisms (Moderation in temper is 'a virtue').  It could be, of course; but not for my purposes.  No, my virtue is the virtue of socrates and, by direction, the virtue of the write of the biography of Paine which I am reading.  But we are only discussing what viture isn't.
Virtue is the act of putting the needs and interests of society, of mankind if you would, ahead of the pursuit of fortune.  One does not rule out the other, but the priority defines the level of one vs the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment