Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

my road to virtue and back Chapter 5-before dispair

I open my book and see these words: "The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard (Katha-Upanishad)
How do we judge one another?
There are so many ways that I have been judged and found wanting.  And occasionally not.  I will leave it to you to figure out how I have been classified, reclassified, audited and found wanting, adequate or superior, in writing, employment, as an advisor, an adventurer, in business or in bed. And then there are my many creditors, past, present and future.
The statistics of credit classification compare poorly to the realities of a persons values.  I assume there is an actuary or some such person, or perhaps someone with no training who characterizes us, hopefully on the basis of some actual reality.  But does that really have anthing to do with the value of a person.  Isn't "creditworthiness" so irrelevant as to be an insult?
Who had nothing?  Sidhartha gave up his fortune for vision.  Perhaps half of the signers of the declaration of independence were men of inadequate means, Paine (Pain) essentially bankrupted, coming to the new world in near poverty, our ancestors domesticated dogs in part so that they could increase their properties by the weight the dog could bear.  And these people survived to allow some bean counter to compare me to others based on how much money I made, inherited or stole and how many credit cards I paid off every month, what property I held against the nature of communism.
At this time I was not judged poorly.  In fact, the future of wild success, terrific failure, redemption and virtue result from this starting point which I had achieved through no mean expenditure of time and effort, time wasted which could have been spent on the things I would not do till later.
I don't know exactly when I am, but I know I am at the coast, driving in the warm sun which is gradually heating the waters of the gulf, driving to Mississippi looking for something intangible, that I am not quite sure of but which draws me inexorably forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment