Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

DQ 15

"I need you to go out and buy these things for the trip."
"What are these things?"
"They are the oils and fuels and spark plugs and things of that sort which are needed in order to allow these motorcycles to be started and to run."
"Do you believe they will run?"
"Perhaps not right away, but I am convinced that they can be made to run.  The next step is to add these liquids to the engines and the transmissions.  Some liquids were in them for their long storage, but it is now time to add those things to them that will make them come alive."  DQ's eyes shown with a radiance of their own when he said this.
"I am afraid.  I don't know what I should do."
"I know they think I am mad."
"No," SP said.  "No one truely thinks that.  Upset maybe but not insane."
"But I am mad.  By their standards.  I don't care about any of my 'things'.  You see, I was not a real person like you.  I have no real friends and I didn't care about the things that are important like friendship, family or faith.  I am faithless.  There was always work to cover up for these shortcomings, but now there is nothing, so who would not go mad.
"But there is more. Overpopulation and climate change will lead to starvation and civilization always a thin veneer will crumble. If we are lucky in that way we will time to die. But if through some miracle our leaders fight out how to have intelligence as a species we will be wiped out by a solar flare. A black hole.  A meteor out am exploding super volcano all things we know are inevitable and all things we can do nothing about."
"Do not talk like that, you are scaring me."
"There is no reason for you to fear.  It is your choice whether you want to go with me or not, whether you wish to face your fears or hide from them, whether you want to ride with the madman or go back to your life."

No comments:

Post a Comment