Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Every day without you

A real poem would be called every day with you.  I want to write something for your birthday and it should be called every day without you.  It cannot be about what life would be like if we spent time together.  It isn't about camping, shows, meetings and work.  It isn't about swimming in cool streams.  It isn't even about holding hands after a long walk on a warm summer evening, the breeze drying our sweat.  That is something you do with someone else.  And that is a good thing only because you are happy.
A real poem would be about closing our days out together.  This is about your lack of patience or inability to understand, not about how much more we are together, how much everything I've done is about you, the result of what you've said and the kind guiding hand you are capable of when it suits you.
A real poem would be about wanting to be together, no matter what.  This is not about that, although it easily could be.  A person should be allowed to be selfish one day out of the year and do what they want with whoever they want.  Truly a person should be allowed to strive for that every day, but only if they do it with a sense of their higher duties.  Perhaps you are one of the sad few who understand what those duties are.
I hope you enjoy your selfish pleasure, more than I wish to be that, I envy who it is, but I am happy that you have the ability to have it.  Perhaps all at once or perhaps sequentially there will be every type of happiness which I have seen and which I have lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment