Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Philosophy and NLT

We started as pre-humans, chimpanzee creatures using the tools provided by our environment, then we worked our way, or our way was worked for us, into harmonizing these tools to the needs we had, chipping rock, shaping wood, and speaking words.  We domesticated the plants and animals or they domesticated us; we came up with more words and rudimentary ways of counting the stars and the days.  We were lucky then, you and I.  We had fewer restrictions on doing what we knew we should do, we had the whole night, dark and frightening, to study the sky and to talk together.

Eventually we began to make models of the universe, some right, some wrong.  And so we come to the matter of Non-Linear Time which argues in some bizarre way that the inexplicably complex universe happens all at once and something that Einstein called space time is really something quite different, allows us to perceive this instantaneous existence in a linear fashion, the moment stretched into seconds, the seconds into years, the time apart into eternity.

You might be surprised how often people suggest the same ideas that I set out, rarely based on physics; but instead based on their religion or observation.  I should almost say never based on physics except perhaps after I tell them about my theory at which time they often look perplexed or frightened or both.  They rarely disagree, often going off on their own tangents, more often they react with a certain degree of puzzlement or talking about ideas that they have which have one parallel or another.  I hate my theory, I believe it very likely; in its own way, more likely than not.

I am a deist.  My readings of Thomas Pain(e) allow me to recognize that fact.  Abraham Lincoln and perhaps Washington were both deists.  I don't believe what they believe and I don't believe the type of god that I consider to exist to be much like what theirs would be, mine being more likely to be some self fulfilling prophecy rather than some actual creature.  The existence of life outside non-linearity seems hardly possible since one necessarily would disprove the purity of the other.  While this impurity would be reassuring in some respects, in others it would just increase the horrors of Non Linear time Coordinate theory.

What should one do with their time in a NLC universe?  The idea of living each minute as if it were your last is certainly indicated.  Doing the right thing, and even spending time determining what "right" is would be indicated.  Were we all to act as carpe diem enthusiasts hell bent on doing only what we wanted with no regard to "right or wrong" would certainly require that our days would be numbered and increasingly unpleasant.  But a plan for "responsible happiness" makes quite a bit of sense, and if one occasionally overworks, it is perhaps appropriate that they would over play on other occasions to achieve balance.  Someone told me today that I needed to make sure that I spent enough of my time on things I enjoy rather than what I needed to do.  I agree with that even while in my life I reject it, spending time on where I need to be instead of where I belong.  And if each day happens over and over again into eternity without change or hope of variation then everyday I ensure eternity is not the place where I want to spend it.  I hate my theory...or perhaps I hate my choices...or myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment