Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

8 days and counting: the brilliant insights of the Greeks olypics and parmenides

I woke up for the last time at 3:30 am.  I don't know how early it is now, there is no hint of dawn.
The day passed weird; at 6 I decided to swim, did 1500 yards, 1000 im, and it woke me making sleep almost impossible afterwards.

In 515 BC Parmenides was born.  In 490 BC Zeno was born (approx)
There is a weird olympic fact whereby the greek city state of (Carmarina) Kamarina-528bc had a gold medalist at Stadia in the 63rd olympic games (this would have been 13 years "before" Parmenides the philosopher was born).  The gold medalist was also named Parmenides.  Well, well what have we there?  Was young Parmenides named after a sports hero from the other side of greece or perhaps something more romantic?

Here are some interesting notes on the Stadia event which was run nude: From Wikipedia mostly

Stadia was the foundational olympic competition and one of 3 noted events that year.

Kamarina is also a city in Sicily; but Kamarina, Greece is 572 KM from Elia, separated by Athens. 
(wiki-Stadion or stade (Ancient Greek: στάδιον) was an ancient running event, part of the Ancient Olympic Games and the other Panhellenic Games. It was one of the five major Pentathlon events. It was the premier event of the gymnikos agon (γυμνικὸς ἀγών "nude competition").[1]

From the years 776 to 724 BC, the stadion was the only event that took place at the Olympic Games. The victor gave his name to the entire four-year Olympiad, which has allowed scholars to know the names of nearly every ancient Olympic stadion winner.[1]

The stadion was named after the building in which it took place, also called the stadion. This word became stadium in Latin, which became the English word stadium. The race also gave its name to the unit of length, the stadion. There were other types of running events, but the stadion was the most prestigious; the winner was often considered to be the winner of an entire Games. Though a separate event, the stadion was also part of the ancient Pentathlon.

At the Olympic Games, the stadion (building) was big enough for 20 competitors, and the race was a 200 yd (180 m) sprint,[2] but the original stadion track in Olympia measures approximately 210 yd (190 m). The race began with a trumpet blow, with officials (the ἀγωνοθέται agonothetai) at the starting blocks to make sure there were no false starts. There were also officials at the end to decide on a winner and to make sure no one had cheated. If the officials decided there was a tie, the race would be re-run. Runners started the race from a standing position, probably with their arms stretched out in front of them, instead of starting in a crouch like modern runners.[2] They ran naked on a packed earth track. By the fifth century, the track was marked by a stone-starting line, the balbis. Advancements in this stone starting block led to it having a set of double grooves (10–12 cm (3.9–4.7 in) apart) in which the runner placed his toes. The design of these grooves were intended to give the runner leverage for his start.[3]

The winner of the stadion in the first Olympic Games was Coroebus of Elis.)

It has been a trying time.  I have the 27AF(s) out as of today with 20 still pending; some positive; nothing definite.  Next months it is back  to Nt.
I am a little under 1/2 way through the edits of the Npte.  this is a lot less than it should be and many of the edits are only suggestions that I need to do more work in an area or clarify something with a clarification which isn't developed yet.  Even so, the work is something of a masterpiece; the culmination of 7 years worth of work; it needs a lot and omits volumes that are covered in other papers; but it does what it needs to do and it is being consumed on at least a limited basis.
Today I did the stair machine and a very limited weight workout, my motivational level was not high.  The pool, however, looks really good.
It is thundering, no chance of a swim any time soon.
I have another meal picture from the weekend, now long gone.
Here's a look before it was assembled
I was heavy on the 1.25 worth of avocado (1/2 of it).

The bad sleep is not as bad as it sounds, since I was asleep for the first time a little after 9.
I gave up on sleep at 3:30am and started to read a particularly engaging though sad with the lost youth I remember so well part of my book; but the light activated the cats and before long I had gotten up to feed them.
I looked at my phone, I suppose hoping to see something from you.  Perhaps you look at this blog that way sometimes, early in the morning; with no hint of dawn in the sky.
I have some reheated coffee now and water and I've eaten my cereal and it is still too early to be up.  
I have plenty to look at after that AF thing which may be a waste, but why I don't know
The DOE stuff comes to mind as being on my calendar although I am not too sure there is a place there this go round, perhaps too mired in non-scientific inquiries, too limited in scope as to who can apply or whatever.  There is also the carbon stuff, although that is the smallest of areas, the NSF application is far advanced at this point and should be finished, perhaps after the NPTE and its bearing on catalytics.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm

So very, very much to do; so much has happened.  I leave for New Mexico 9/10 if things don't change.  A trip into the wilderness.  Very strange.

January 13, 2014 I was in the middle of so very much; but I took time to cite a post which has no relevance that I can think of, to what I am doing now.

1/13/14
http://www.hngn.com/articles/21907/20140113/ability-to-control-light-waves-could-be-at-the-tips-of-our-fingertips.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment