Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Notes on the Misty May Treanor Speech on life

I have pages and pages of notes.
I am tired and cranky.  Very few would want to be around me.  I have sweated, I have put off showers, I have traveled, I have lost sleep, I have lost what is important to me.  I have sacrificed things of great value for things that make my life less fulfilling.  I am tired, I am angry, I am cranky.
I'm not a newspaper reporter, but I'll share the wisdom as I interpreted it from a 3 time gold medalist volleyball player who referred to her speech as a therapy session.
How to deal with nervousness:  Look at nervousness as your body telling you that you is ready for the challenge; excited and ready to go.  It is not a disability but something to learn to channel.
On the loss of her mom:  The time together was too short.  It is important to learn how to console yourself and how to get over bad things as opposed to merely morning the loss.
On Dating:  Don't lose yourself.  What is important to you and your independent life is more important than yielding to someone else, even someone very strong.
On Preparation: Long practice is necessary, but so is learning how to take time off to recover and enjoy life.  Understand that your priorities will shift in life.
On weakness in competition:   Make up a weakness one day with the strength of another-don't concentrate of what is weak one day, but instead concentrate on what is strong that day.
On Goals: Be the change the world needs, not just for yourself.  It is easier to go through hardship like therapy if you have a goal in mind.  Don't think "why me" but "how can I move on."
Learn to take a deep breath when life challenges you.  Look at frustrations as an opportunity to better yourself.  Challenge yourself.
On loyalty.Recognize the sacrifices those at the top have to make to create a relationship.  Be willing to make those sacrifices yourself.  Go above an beyond and you'll get it back. Make sure your life is not just about taking. Don't expect more for yourself, expect to give more.  Accept your past but recognizing it is behind you.  Go after things and people  you can be loyal to.  Give back.  make things better by sticking together.  Stay to give time for all the fans.  Treat others as you want to be treated.  Assume you will run into those people again.  Respect others by doing the right thing for others.  Negotiate with the idea of helping those who have less negotiating power.
On Struggle: use struggle to achieve greatness or do the impossible.  Recognize in bad things (poor living conditions of others and death of mother) to put things in perspective.
Always try to bring a little more to the table than what is absolutely necessary.
mentally prepare-visualize and relax.  Prepare the best you can and then accept what happens.   Use a routine to keep mentally level.  Visualize yourself doing the difficult tasks; play the visualization of you doing the individual actions correctly, succeeding/winning.  Organize and use time management recognizing that what you do off the court follows you onto the court.

No comments:

Post a Comment