Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Rules for Examining what you are doing with life 2

Having restated the laws of physics, I am enjoying being finished and simultaneously worrying about the mistakes and the problems with premature publication.
So I found this old post (unposted) and decided to dust it off, dress it up and send it on its way.
These were the rules I was giving for deciding what to do in life.
1) Why am I doing this?
2) Am I choosing to do this?
3) How do I reward myself for what I do until I get the ultimate payoff?

I could say a lot about these rules, and I think I will, but not tonight.  Instead I will add a few other rules:
1) What if what I'm doing gets me farther from the payoff
2) What am I willing to sacrifice to continue things as they are
3) What will it mean later if I do or don't do something
4) If it means worrying or hurting someone you love, is it really worth the cost of inaction?

And  the historical quote to add to the concept of planning your life, from a greek philosopher (where did they get all this stuff?)
"If one does not know to which port he is sailing, no wind is favorable."  Seneca

I think when it was told to me, it was, "No wind is a bad wind if you don't know which port you are sailing to."  Both mean something similar, but not the same.  One the message of the pessimist, the other the optimist.

I will give a nod here to the Yom Kippur holiday.  The day is to apologize and ask forgiveness for the sins against god.  I know the prayers ask for forgiveness against man, but that appears to be a modern afterthought.  The rule is to apologize to those you have wronged and, if possible, make things right.  A noble sentiment.  Oddly, the rule says to do it before Yom Kippur, which happens to start Friday at sundown.  Again, it seems like the universe is serving me a softball, and I wonder why I am singled out for such treatment.

I am sorry, but how to make it right?  I think forgiveness before Friday is a two way street, but we have to be thankful for what we have to give and not what we hope to receive.

In a nod to Non-linear time theory and Steely Dan, I suppose given the chance I'd probably do the same thing again, in fact NLT theory demands that just that will happen.  What a world, what a sad excuse for a person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sil76t2X_DE

So far things going very badly trying to a physicist to review the book, but its time will come or perhaps not.  "Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan." John F. Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment