Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2018

charlatans

This was taken out of AUTC Vol 2, although I like it enough to repeat it here.
I have it down to around 500 pages which is 150 pages too high but I suspect reorganiing it iwll get rid of at least 50 of those pages net, there are some additions including some sketches that were added.  Reconciling it with Vol 1 will eliminate another 100 pages I am sure.
I published it as a supplement to volume 1 although the detailed comparison  to the standard model by way of example, is important even though this theory replaces the standard model

This was more of an undertaking than you might think and while it required wholesale deletions, it also involved changing my mind and keeping some pages that were slated for destruction.

At this point it is published on kindle, although not available and I have not yet attempted to update it on createspace.  The combination of kdp and createspace is bothersome although I understand the desire to eliminate redundancy.

We are doing this the hard way, I think the wrong way.  What a way to spend a Saturday, but being up at 4am there is little else i wanted to do that I could under the circumstances.

i wish I could do more, not because I cannot but because the price that would be paid is a difficult one, perhaps the right thing to do is to follow my dreams and my heart without worrying about all those who would be affected, but somehow in the balance of bretrayal, the one that benefits me seems to be the selfish one which I am sure it is but that it is not.

I walked the dog at 5am, stars especially orion with his belt with its galactic jewel were visible.  I saw almost no one.  Later in the morning I swam 2000 yards. It is easy to get a lot done in the morning when you start at 4.  I am tired.

Here is the except and then a note appears at the end.

Science is messy.  It isn't just an argument about theories, it is the inquisition of the middle ages, it is  killing Archimedes in Syracuse while he draws in the sand, it is King Ptolemy preserving the old testament, the Greeks claiming the knowledge of the Sumerians, Islam preserving Greek math, Fibonacci claiming the knowledge of the al-Khwarizmi and al-Kindi for Europe and those mathematicians claiming the knowledge from unknown Indians, Madame Curie  experimenting with radiation till it kills her, Einstein divining relativity and a race to create bombs from the knowledge that can destroy mankind.  It is drama!
I've been cast as a charlatan and I accept the role.  Three others are being offered the role of protecting science (the class) from spuriousness. In the end, you prove my theory and math is inaccurate and you save the day.  Hurrah!  Its critical you play your role with passion and bring all the science you have to bear, and you get to write your own script!  And imagine the alternate ending.  What if the story has a twist.  There is already the hint of ridicule, the prejudice against non-institutional science.  You suggest I take this to a physics professor and maybe it ends in some mundane press release, or (more likely) a rejection of the theory.  I suggest Shakespeare.  Let the drama play out here, on the internet at the university of Edinburgh (or whatever this place is) before the entire world 1200 characters at a time with the backdrop of the great physicists lecturing. Now that is a class!  Or maybe not, I get a little melodramatic.
It’s either Amadeus or the Music Man (or Leap of Faith, a more modern remake) but with physics
   
There is a right and wrong in science, but the definition of right and wrong changes.

I have my ideas on my christmas story  now refined.  It is perhaps partially original although the situation of the main character leading  up to the story is not fully fleshed out yet.  I am shooting for a first draft on perhaps ten thousand words so stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment