Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

DOD 50-The $19 sweatshirt and the Lonely tree

The sunrise today was particularly nice, but that will have to wait.  The cold is getting more pervasive.
50 days since I was murdered, an anniversary of sort.  How peculiar it feels.
I have bought very little except food since I've gotten here, despite the fact that my tennis shoes are more dead than I am and one pair of jeans fell apart (still have 3 left including my "dress up" black jeans).  The boots, though worn and full of thorns are holding up.  The one thing I have gotten the most out of is a 19.00 lightly insulated sweatshirt (hoody) which is my go to garment; still holding up despite the increasing cold. 
I just spilled almost a whole cup of coffee on my computer, and this search appeared on google (S1VQWERT YUIOPlo) fortunately, it seems to have survived although if it stops working in the middle of this post....

I mentioned this Tree earlier and promised a picture.
Most of the trees here are fairly stunted although many or 10 or 12 feet tall; few are true oak size like this one.
The computer is working, but with flukes.  I don't know whether to turn it off or leave it on.  Spraying it with dust cleaner seems to have helped.  If only I could get my on brain working as easily.
You should not take away too much from the pf post earlier.  While something of an indication of something, having someone show interest, at whatever questionable level that was shown, possibly only in hiking, is a far cry from actively dating.  Nothing wrong with that, it is just pointing out what might not otherwise be obvious.
Today I went on a three mile hike (largely in the direction opposite this tree) and got as close to the far target mountain (a video follows) as I have gotten so far, probably on the other side of this hill from whence the hidden mine entrance (?)/illusion was spotted and photographed in an earlier picture in this blog.  I was still some ways away, but with water and a snack I could have struck out for that additional distance although the way back was convoluted and i was tired.  It is possible I was as close as in the prior hike done in the heat of summer and no closer, that one being the same distance and in extreme heat without water.

It is scary that far into the high plains desert.  You can see things from the ridges, but between them in the canyons you could be on an empty world and you are far away from help in a manner of speaking.  I suppose you have to be there to understand.

I think it is as far again to the top of the mountain from the ridge at the tip of the hike, down one ravine, up the far hill and then down into the very deep one where you would arrive at the base of the very tall hill.  Perhaps it would have taken more than a snack at that.
 It had started clouding cold and turned mostly clear and hot, but I had dressed in layers and was relatively comfortable and protected from the sun.
Not sure if you can hear it, but when this video was taken, there was a siren going off in the distance, haunting in the loneliness and wind of the desert which is what life is without you in it.
Of course, for you there is something else and so I include the video from the other side of the hill from that closest point video, this one looking back the way from which I came although it cannot be seen over the several intervening hills.
There are scary decisions to be made in not going back the same way, what if there is a dead end of which there are plenty despite the scrubbed nature of the trees and spiny plants, whether to cross fields of thorny plants of look for paths over rocks, the uncertainty, largely gone now, of whether to go up this hill or the next.  Months of these hikes has reduced the uncertainty; but there is not so much confidence in my navigation abilities or luck avoiding snakes or packs of wild animals that I would be too comfortable in this outback, not to mention the incompetent hunter, I had on an orange vest when I filmed that, but many people wearing orange are shot.
I have a lot of work yet to do this month and only 7 days with which to finish which is not enough; but I have printed out the next 10 pages which require most of my attention and the rest of today and much of tomorrow will be there for this.  The time between then and Sunday is not mine, but I will be alone again after that and this will be my top priority.  On Monday I think the pool reopens which will provide me an opportunity to reset myself for the month of December which is so critical to my future plans.
It is time to eat again, though my appetite has not returned.
I am one with the lonely tree, thirsty and alone, but taller than I should be in this wild place.

No comments:

Post a Comment