Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

coffee-48: poem

I walked last night and stopped in the coffee shop
to buy a card.  I was asked if I wanted a cup of coffee
to drink in the rain, that tastes of a person in the west
from whence the rains come
I finished my speech on "how china stole the heart and soul"
for my presentation in new orleans
at least i did in my mind
I told the clerk i had given up coffee for 60 days
of which 12 have passed
the clerk was unimpressed
i presume she has seen countless people
who have given up coffee and then come back
i still do not want coffee except some early mornings
when i remember how good the coffee can be
but then i drink  hot water
and my mind is soothed
but my soul continues to long
for the artists and lovers and musicians
with their coffees and liquors
and their cigarettes and beer and wine
their kisses that are stained with all their faults

No comments:

Post a Comment