Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014

DQ 13

Seventy was turning the card over in his hand.
"Call," his wife said.  She was holding the children to her.  They looked on with large intelligent, immigrant's eyes.
He punched the number of the man with the coat and the top hat.  "You told me to call you if anything scared me."
"You did the right thing," his wife said after he hung up.
"I suppose you are right, but..."
"You cannot go getting yourself killed for a madman."
"How do we know he is mad?"
"He broke the door out of the back of his house."
"He put those motorcycles together.  You should have seen them.  They looked...they looked as if they would run."
"But he knew nothing about what he was doing."
"I know, but he seems to know what he is doing."
"But you told him you could not ride."
"I did.  And I told him I was afraid."
"What did Don Q say when you told him of your concern?"
"He said, he could only ask me, for if you want to date a supermodel you must first ask her out."

No comments:

Post a Comment