Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

rhyming poetry and where everything comes from

There is the story about the fiction writer who, asked where his ideas comes from, says there is a number to call in Schenectady (The name of the collection of short stories was "It came from Schenectady").  That's where my stuff comes from anyway.

I have often worried about how poorly my "poetry" is written.  However, I have decided that I do not need to re-write them.  I believe eventually I will find a language in which they will all rhyme and sound better when translated.  It seems like a reasonable shortcut and it is much easier than the struggle other poets undertake, only to force later poet translators to rewrite their works in foreign prose which cannot but lose the meaning and rhythm captured in the original.

And if my poems rhyme and if they sound better, then will you answer me and tell me your love lives also, or will even these songs in foreign tongue be met with silence or just an echo off the void from which they come...Schenectady.

No comments:

Post a Comment