Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Zeno-Socrates dialogs Chapter 8

Zeno's paradoxes as the predecessor of all hologram theory: The Zeno-Socrates dialogs:
The Zeno-Socrates dialogs

NOW EXPANDED, UPDATED, EDITED AND AVAILABLE ON AMAZON:


Chapter 8
By Exia, a servant in Zeno's house and future grandmother to Eudoxus of Cnidus.


They arrived early in Athens, the streets choked with carts, mules, pedestrians, market stalls, exotic animals, slaves and bordered on either side by the tallest buildings in Greece.  Their court appearance was for the next morning.  
Parmenides absolutely refused to be housed with Socrates, in fact he refused to spend another minute in his company despite his offer to intoroduce him to his friend of the scroll distribution business, a deme of Colytus, named Ariston.  Zeno felt, having brought Socrates into his circle, that he had to accompany him to see if there was anything more to be learned of this sordid affair of his and to learn of anything that could be used in their defense.
Parmenides did not accompany them, choosing to rest after the unwelcome long journey and to take the chance to secure to them whatever allegiances his many friends in Athens might offer.
Aristan’s house in Anthens was a massive affair, with twin doors that stood open to an inner wall with a walk for its defense, empty now in the lengthy peace and  which was entered through an iron gate which led to a comfortable inner sanctum.
“Come in, come in.  Make yourselves comfortable.  Bring refreshments for our guests,” Aristan said referring to a well dressed servant as they were introduced into the living room.
“Young Socrates, you have created quite a bit of mischief.  And this is the philosopher and may i say “physicist” Zeno who I have heard so much about?  Welcome to my home.”
“I only wish it was under more pleasant circumstances, sir.  I am sorry for any inconvenience I or my mischievous friend here has caused.”
“Oh no inconvenience to me, I assure you.  The manuscript was circulated by another and my hands are entirely clean of the matter.  I have no time for such lurid things, I’m afraid and my duties have, sadly, kept me ignorant of much current philosophy.  But I am a fan of it and the quick mind of Socrates has amused me and my guests many a night.”
At this point they were interrupted by a large food and beverage service brought by a veritable army of servants and accompanied by a lady of great stature and beauty holding a small child to her breast.  Zeno worried that Socrates would say something or worse do something of great stupidity under the circumstances.  Before he could think how to act, Aristan said, “Well come my dear.  You see who we have for company?  It is your favorite, Socrates.  And he has brought with him Zeno of Elea, a great philosopher and student of our friend Parmenides.  Zeno, this is my wife, Perictione”
“It  is a pleasure to meet you, Zeno.  I have heard much of you and some of your fame precedes recent events.”
While Zeno was attempting to respond first to Aristan and lead into their current problem, Socrates moved on Perictione.
“Oh and this is your new heir!” Socrates said going to stand over the child.  “And what is his name?”
“We have decided to call him Plato.” She said proudly.
“Plate-o-what?  Why he looks a little green, perhaps he is a plate o’ spinach.  Oh but he is a handsome green child.  And look at those intelligent eyes.  He has the beauty of his father and the intelligent  eyes of the mother.  I will have him for my student when I have my own school if you will let me.”
“This young man will be the death of me,” Zeno said.  “I hope you do not attribute his rudeness to me.”  Socrates had begun to dig into the food and was signalling for wine to a pretty girl who may have been a slave from her scant dress.
“Don’t worry sir,” Perictione said.  “We are all well used to the antics of Socrates which make him a welcome diversion from an often droll capital and a very quiet rural home in Colytus.”
“I am afraid madam, we come to you and your husband in a state of some distress.”
“I would not worry if I were you, for I have arranged for my cousin Solon to represent you.”
“I am not sure that anyone can rescue us from Draco.”
“I have great respect for my wife’s cousin.  He is an upcoming lawmaker and something of a poet.  Some even say he has his eye on Draco’s job.”  Both Pericitione and Socrates laughed at Arison’s joke.  
When Solon entered the room Socrates jumped up. The two bumped chests like young bulls. Zeno noted that Solon was at most a year or two older than Socrates.
Zeno felt his stomach tighten and inwardly mused that he would have been happier if he had stayed ignorant and at home with Parmenides.

No comments:

Post a Comment