Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

my zombie apocalypse Chapter 1

This is my zombie story. Everyone has a zombie story. Some have zombies in them and some don’t. Mine doesn’t have any zombies in it, but it does have you. So where does my story start? First, there was eruption of the giant caldera, then there was the solar flare and the meteor strike, or maybe it was the other way around. Perhaps there was a meteor strike first and then the solar flare and then the eruption. It doesn’t really matter.

I remember the time when you would go to the grocery store and riffle through the fruit and if you saw something that you didn’t like, you would put it back and grabbed something else. There were phones and I could always pick up the phone and call you, but then I couldn’t call you and perhaps that’s the true zombie story.

There are no grocery stores, at least none that aren't ransacked, anymore and there’s no fruit to eat, there’s nothing else to eat. Not having anything to eat is the Zombie story. When there's nothing to eat, everyone is the zombie. You don't have to be the living dead to be a zombie in a real world apocalypse. You just need to be so hungry that you would eat somebody else. You have to be scared enough so that you suspect everyone would eat you if they have the chance.

That’s just a side part of the story, and the real zombie story is that I can’t talk to you anymore. If that's really my Zombie story then the story starts long before any of the natural disasters happened. There’s nothing that we can do anything about. Maybe that’s what’s so great about zombies. With zombies at least there’s something you can do about them, but all the real natural disasters, there’s nothing you can do about them. You can survive them or you don’t survive them but there’s nothing you can do about them. If you survive the zombie apocalypse and everything goes back to normal, then you write your story. But in the real Zombie apocalypse everything doesn’t go back to normal after any of the other disasters, and because of that all we have is the moment.

If the moments weren’t spent with you, then every one of them was a zombie moment and not a real life moment. But you were gone long before the zombies didn’t come. You were gone long before the natural disasters occurred. Perhaps you were never there at all, except in our imaginations. Because all the time that you were there, there was always something in the way of us being together.

I thought I'd died that's part of the reason I was gone for so long. I guess I'm not dead. I guess when you stop believing then I just thought I was dead. I wonder if this is how God feels when people stop believing in him. Maybe we got so smart we forgot what was important, but seems more likely with all our science we've predicted our own doom and didn't care enough to do anything to protect ourselves from what was inevitable.

 I'm going to have less of this story. The story can either be about my zombie apocalypse or it can be about you and if the only thing that gave my life meaning was the fact that you believed in me then the story will have to be about you and not about the apocalypse.  There are enough stories about the apocalypse anyway but there haven't been enough stories about me and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment