Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Whale Lawyer-Final Chapter...Chapter 15

The end...


Chapter 15
It was the day of the final hearing, but low clouds continued to deny the early morning sun.   Either the whale would be a person or not. Soon.   It was, Hyatt thought, a foregone conclusion. That he had gotten this far was something of a miracle.
Laura was in the courtroom also. He smiled weakly at her and she came over to him.
“I’m sorry Hyatt. I was just so angry. I felt betrayed.”
“It was only that once, but I’m sorry. I did betray you.”
“You hadn’t made me any promises. I shouldn’t have expected anything from you. What will you do now?”
“Watch me,” Hyatt said as Beauregard Drake, the aquarium’s attorney walked over.
“I believe,” Beauregard said, “that we have some information which you might want to consider before you begin your case.”
“No, you don’t. If it has anything to do with what Laura said, don’t worry. I told the estate administrator,  Beth Champee, and I sent a letter to the bar association. This case will go on with its hearing today and whatever happens, the press will have a field day with your business, or what’s left of it.”
Beauregard looked crestfallen. He went back over to consult with his client, to tell him the strange news.
“Oh Hyatt, what have I done to you?”
“Nothing, you may have made me an honest man. I think I quit taking pain killers last night. I’m not afraid anymore. But I may be in jail for a while. At the very least I’ll be suspended, probably lose my license altogether but no one will be responsible for me but myself.   I absolved you before you had a chance to cause me any problems. Do you think, maybe when I get out of prison, we can have dinner together?”
“Every night if you want,” Laura said. The sun picked this point to clear the low clouds in the East and lit up the courtroom. “But who will be the whale’s lawyer?”

The End

We hope you've enjoyed this presentation of "The Whale Lawyer" , copyright 2013, all rights reserved.  Please stay tuned for future broadcasts including War with China, the overthrow of the corrupt congressional election and entitlement system and the secrets of fundamental physics along with slected poetry readings and zombie stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment