Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

The whale lawyer - chapter 3

 I broke a promise not to make any edits to this since it's just a draft short story, but decided I'm faithless enough to make whatever changes I want.



 
Chapter 3
“Are you mad?” Laura’s face was red. “I haven’t seen you in almost a year, not a word and then you call me over telling me it is a matter of life and death. Suddenly you need me again. And all you want is someone to talk to about representing a fish?”
“I need to tell you something, you have to keep it secret.”
“I don’t understand.”
Hyatt pulled out a piece of paper from a desktop computer and wrote on it for a few moments while Laura looked on. “Here, it says that you are my psychologist.”
“I would have a conflict. We used to sleep together when you were married, or did you forget?”
“I’m sorry about that. You don’t know how sorry I am. But you never gave me a chance to explain myself.”
“Do you want to explain yourself now?”
“It doesn’t matter, I’m not killing anyone or committing a crime. I need you to be bound by confidentiality.”
Laura looked at the paper as if he had placed a cock roach in front of her. Hyatt placed a pen on top.
“I don’t care to hear your problems.”
“I need to tell someone.”
“Tell someone else.”
“Laura, we have common interests. You have some interest in what happens to me. You have to care some.”
With a cross between a spit and a sigh, she picked up the pen and slashed some lines across the paper without reading it. “So tell me why you would embarrass yourself by representing a fish.”

No comments:

Post a Comment