Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

The whale lawyer Chapter 5

Chapter 6 is one of my favorite chapters, but for now, here is Chapter 5 which merely sets it up.
I know I should be posting physics posts, or moving forward on my private war with congress and their allies, the Chinese.  Perhaps I should just spend the evening tearing my soul out and pasting it on this blog for your enjoyment, but for now, it's just Chapter 5

Chapter 5
Hyatt finished going over the pleadings he had drawn up for  Bruce the fish.  
Brian was nodding over the papers, “Yes, yes.  This is exactly what I told you.”
“When does the money start to come from the foundation?  Or do you expect me to file this for free now.”
“Didn’t Beth authorize to advance the costs?”
Hyatt waited a few minutes, his eyes briefly turning up towards the ceiling and then snapping back as if he caught himself.  “That was only temporary.”
“Well the delay in getting your fees is only temporary.  It takes a while to raise money for something like this, but as soon as this is filed, it will be easy for us to raise the money.  Do you really believe in this?  Are you the right lawyer for this, we need someone who believes.”
“No, Brian, you need someone who understands how these cases work and who can argue it effectively while remaining dispasionate enough to convince the court to allow you to get the necessary press time to make your points and get public opinion behind you.”
It was Brian’s turn to pause.  He gave Hyatt an  appraising look and his eyes narrowed a little as if he realized who was there across the table for the first time.  “I believe you are right Hyatt.  The money will come,  I assured Beth of that, I will assure you of that also.”
“I have to meet with my client.”
“What?”
“If you really want to make this work, I have to meet with my client.”
Brian sat back in his chair, the papers and the discussion about  fees forgotten.“So you’ll do it?
“I don’t know that I can.  I need something more.  You say this fish can communicate with me.”
“He’s been taught over 100 words.”
“Can he agree for me to represent him?”
“That’s not one of his words.  But he can say he wants to go back to the ocean.”

No comments:

Post a Comment